Sunday, January 28, 2007

Changes

No I'm not talking about a David Bowie song that oddly is irking me right now. I can't imagine why. Nevermind that. Its not what I'm rambling about anyway.

Sometime yesterday I decided I needed to listen to this album again. I think it was while I was making Squirt's mix CD and quite possibly because I was still unsure of my feelings about the Eleni Mandell CD I got from La La.

I think it's possible that I can say that I "like" this disc now. I would still prefer Mr. Costello work alone on his next record, unless he decides to do an album with his wife. But that's neither here nor there or even somewhere else. There's still some parts that annoy, like Elvis ripping off one of his own songs, namely Brutal Youth's Rocking Horse Road on Six Fingered Man.

I used Who's Gonna Help A Brother Get Further on Squirt's CD. It's actually my favorite song on the album. It's also the one song that Elvis doesn't do lead vocals on. Go figure.

I can't believe I've actually devoted the last few hours to listening to it. I have a new appreciation for songs like The Sharpest Thorn and Nearer To You, the later for odd reasons I don't care to get into. Download it and see if you can guess for yourself.

I'm still not sure if it really deserves nominated for the Grammy Awards. It's a good album, yes, but when you compare it to some of his other albums, well it just doesn't stand up. When I Was Cruel was a hundred times better and the album was all him.

I'm just glad I can tolerate this album now. I was kinda sad that I was getting annoyed by so many of my Elvis CDs lately.

0 comments: