Monday, February 12, 2007

There's Nothing To Fear...Except

Failure. Some people may say fear itself, and I'm apt to agree with that too, but failure really gets me quaking in my boots. It's the major reason why I've never sent those novels I wrote anywhere. It's that fear of rejection. It ties my stomach up in knots.

Photography? I hate the idea of sending something of mine away never to be seen again. Mind you I could get other prints made, but it's the fear of my photo sitting around and then getting tossed away like a piece of garbage.

And yes, fear has kept me from just spitting out the words that might put me out of my misery in yet another situation. I just can't do it. Those words won't even come out of my mouth. (Yes, I'm being vague, but I won't even put them out to be read in the off chance that person would stop by) I think I was more coherent in speaking to Graeme Edge (before he bought all the amaretto sours) than I am when I talk to this person. My voice gets all shaky and I miraculously turn soprano. Lordy it's not a pretty picture. It's even worse when I later hear myself on the air sounding like a lovestruck teenager. BLECH! It makes me want to slap myself. With a crowbar. And yet I continuously put myself through hell. Cos I apparently like the pain!

Someday I'll overcome the fear, but I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon.

0 comments: