Sunday, May 23, 2004

My Twenty Favs

My Twenty Favs

I made this mix about a month ago, but I just received a similar mix from an Art of the Mix Blogger. We did a mini swap of these mixes, and he included the reasons why he chose the 20 songs that he did. Smart idea! So instead of typing it up and mailing it, I'm going to post it here for all of you to see.

01. The Beatles - Think For Yourself: This track from Rubber Soul has always been one of my favorites. Though I couldn't begin to list the many tracks that I love, this is one that sticks out, because it's my favorite George Harrison song from the Beatle days.

02. The Monkees - Saturday's Child: This one is just one of those fun happy, bouncy songs, that I adored as a child. Times haven't changed and this is still one Monkees song that can make me grin when I hear it.

03. The Moody Blues - Gemini Dream: Could it be possible for me to pick a favorite Moody Blues song? Not really, so I had to come up with the best of both worlds, meaning the best of Hayward and Lodge, and this is it. It's a damn good song, great harmonies and both Jays on vocals.

04. Herman's Hermits - Just A Little Bit Better: Cheesy happy 60's pop, that I love. I've always liked the pop of the 60's. It was so innocent and so sweet. This song is a great example and another track that can't help but make me smile. Now ain't that just a little bit better?

05. Manfred Mann - The Mighty Quinn: Written by Dylan and quite possibly the most infectious song ever! (ok, next to Don't Need a Reindeer) I have one thing to say about this one. The chorus. Hear it once and it will never ever leave your head. Just when you think it's gone, it's BACK!!

06. David Bowie - Life On Mars: Quite possibly my favorite Bowie song. I won't say anymore on the subject, but he did play it in Pittsburgh. Thanks David!

07. ABBA - The Piper: Not one of there more well known tracks, but one I've loved since buying the Super Trooper CD. Like all their songs, it's catchy and light and just fun. Can you tell I like fun music?

08. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - The Waiting: I've been a Petty fan for quite awhile. This wasn't the song that started it, but it's the song I always go back to when you ask me what my favorite Tom Petty track is.

09. Fleetwood Mac - The Chain: Do I even have to explain this one. If you like Mac, this has to be one of their most stellar efforts. I have a dozen favorites, but I couldn't ignore this one on the mix.

10. Nick Lowe - When I Write The Book: I've exhausted Cruel To Be Kind and Rose of England on previous mixes, I was tempted to do dueling tracks with the next song being Elvis Costello's Everyday I Write the Book, but I decided against the cheese factor. This song is a wonderful example of the pop magic that Nick produces every time he sits down to write a song.

11. Cheap Trick - I Can't Take It: Let me just say, catchy pop tune. The video was what really drew me in. You'd have to understand my youthful crush on Robin Zander to know the full reasoning on this.

12. Elvis Costello - Just About Glad: Another artist that I can't pick a favorite from. So I went for something less obvious from one of my favorite albums, Brutal Youth. (Mind you, I can't pick a favorite album either)

13. Glass Tiger - I'm Still Searching: A song from their almost unheard second album, Diamond Sun. I remember seeing the video, only once and being in love with this song. I rank this band as one of Canada's finest pop bands.

14. Duran Duran - None Of The Above: It was a single...maybe, but just not here. It was a single somewhere. From the Wedding Album that spawned Come Undone and Ordinary World, a song that shouldn't have been ignored. Probably one of LeBon's best songwriting efforts. Probably the reason this song was ignored. Only the LeBon songs that make no sense become huge hits.

15. Erasure - Fingers & Thumbs (Cold Summers Day): Did I mention I love 80's pop? This is a long ambient track from their self titled album from the late 90's. Again, I choose the catchy song. This is another band where I have a difficult time chosing a favorite from. I love so many. I just had to have a representative from this band on here.

16. Oingo Boingo - Try To Believe: The album, Dark At The End Of The Tunnel was the first full length Boingo CD I bought, this is my favorite song from that album and it's a tie for my favorite Boingo song. Don't make me choose between this and We Close Our Eyes, cos I can't do it.

17. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Slowdive: I only have a handful of female vocalists that I truly adore, Siouxsie Sioux is one of them. This song is one of her earlier singles and where it's a bit dark, it's still a winner in my book. I'm a pop tart with goth tendencies? Oye!

18. XTC - King For A Day: Colin Moulding's best effort on the Oranges & Lemons CD that is probably one of XTC's finest albums. Again, it was hard to pick a favorite here. Just a sample of the songwriting talents that lurk in this band.

19. Semisonic - Chemistry: I bet you thought they were one hit wonders. Ha! This is from the album All About Chemistry. They should not be dismissed after the huge smash, Closing Time. Give them another listen, all their songs are that good!

20. Matchbox 20 - Long Day: Thanks to Rob Thomas for being on of the only newbies to the rock world, oh geeze, he's been around for too long to be a newbie, but one of the finest songwriters of recent days. This is a great song off the debut album, an album everyone should own.

0 comments: