Saturday, May 08, 2004

It's A Beatley Mix

I've been contemplating this mix for months. What mix are you talking about? The mix of songs that I consider the best of the members of the Beatles solo works.

It's a large undertaking, I know. There are over 10 albums per member and with Paul McCartney, there's just so much and it's pretty damn good stuff. Paul is the hardest to pick tracks from, because I love so much of it. I did notice as I was choosing tracks, that I prefer his stuff after Wings. I adore albums like Tug of War, Press and Flowers In The Dirt. Tug of War was the first McCartney solo album that I bought. (or well, my parents bought)

Any of you have this one? My favorite song from this one? Ballroom Dancing. It was just a fun song for a 6 year old child to fall in love with. When he redid it for the the Give My Regards to Broad Street CD a few years later, I still loved it.

John Lennon's solo works are a bit harder for me. I loved John's songwriting while he was with the Beatles, but after 1967 I didn't enjoy it as much and when the Beatles broke up, I truly didn't really appreciate it at all. Imagine and Mind Games do nothing for me. For me, the songs that I love are from Double Fantasy and the songs that crept onto albums after his death. Nobody Told Me, is my favorite Lennon tune from his post Beatle days.

I guess I learned too much about the kind of man he was to really like him. I cringe when I hear people call Julian a brat. If my father ignored me in favor of another child, I'd be a brat too. I can't think that life would be easy for him either. That's a shame too, Jules has real talent.

Then there's George. Oh my, George. Just thinking about him makes me want to cry. He was one of my first crushes. It didn't matter to me that he was old enough to be my father, he was the Beatle of my dreams. I've always liked the silent type, though George wasn't really the 'Quiet' Beatle, he was the private Beatle. Picking songs from his catalog, especially from the Dark Horse years is going to be extremely difficult.

As for Ringo..he's very underrated. No he's not a phenonmenal songwriter or singer, but he's done some great tunes over the year. Always whimsical and always fun, that's Ringo. I have quite a few favorites there. A recommendation for you as well. If you haven't heard his latest album, Ringo-rama, I suggest you find it and give it a listen, two songs in particular; Never Without You and Elizabeth Reigns.

Wish Me Luck...I've got several tracks picked out...and thanks to Sabra, I have a few more to add. I'll post the final mix here and at Art Of The Mix later this weekend!

Until then, a picture of the Fab Four when they were young and oh so pretty.