Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Take Me Back Tuesday - Week 121

From Music Memoirs


What is your favorite record/CD shop? Is it still in existence?

My favorite record shop was Oasis, particularly the one that was on Library Rd in South Park. I used to bug the manager there all the time. I even took him to dinner one time. He got me loads of Duran Duran posters and we used to talk about Bowie. He was damn obnoxious, but then again, so am I. We were probably a matched pair, only we never could get it together.

Sadly Oasis was part of the National Record Mart chain that went out of business several years ago. I miss those stores. They were reasonable and they had a great selection.

Do you still buy most of your CDs in stores or do you purchase music online?
Amazon and Half.com are my best friends now. I seldom buy anything in a store for 2 reasons; cost (way too high) and selection (there is none).

What music store do you consider the world's best kept secret. (Meaning you can find anything there)?
Dave's Music Mine on Carson Street in Pittsburgh. They have a fantastic selection and they still sell used vinyl. Squee! In the 80's it used to be Eide's, but my musical needs are different.

What was one "hidden treasure" you found while shopping for music?
I was at the Oasis that was near Ross Park Mall and I found a copy of Spandau Ballet's Parade. This was in the mid 90's and most of their material was out of print. I picked up that CD for 8 bucks and it was like new! And I wanted that disc for one song, though I love most of it...The song? I'll Fly For You. It's still one of my favorite songs by Spandau Ballet.

0 comments: