Monday, May 28, 2007

The Battle To Fill The Zen Micro

Every time I take it in my head to refill my mp3 player chaos ensues. At times I could fit at least 1000 tracks on this damn thing. Now every time I change the tracks I get fewer and fewer songs.

ARGH!

This time I was down to 963.

Grrr

Why is this?

I blame it on bitrate (the size of the mp3 files)

I try to keep most of my files at 192 kpbs, because I like good sound quality, but I don't like huge files. Every so often I end up with space sucking 320 kpbs files. That shrinks down the available space on the Pink Zen Of Doom, especially when it's a great album like Erasure's Light At The End Of The Tunnel.

I'd like to get the damn player back up to about 1000 tracks again, without having to re-rip a few albums. It's damn time consuming and very annoying. I also don't want to get rid of bands that I really want to listen to over the summer, like Duran Duran and Cheap Trick and Roxette. I also hate that I hardly have any McCartney on the player and Gordon Lightfoot wouldn't fit either.

So now I'm trying to rearrange deck chairs on the Titanic, so to speak, to see what I can get to fit. Frankly it's giving me a migraine too. It's not easy to figure out your favorite 1000 tracks when your mp3 collection is somewhere around 7000.

If you don't see me...my head exploded and the Zen is at fault, m'kay.

0 comments: