Thursday, May 24, 2007

Must Have Macca

I got to thinking yesterday as a result of an email conversation I had with someone about which Paul McCartney CDs I consider his best. It's quite a long career and there is a lot of good material in those years, there's also, as he so eloquently put (cough cough) a lot of junk too.

I've come to the conclusion that the material that I enjoy the most seems to stem from the 80's and 90's. I don't know what it is about Wings, but I've found that I can only listen to the singles from that band and not the whole album. Maybe it's just Denny Laine, that irks me. I don't know. But in my personal arrogant opinion, these are the McCartney albums everyone should own.

1. Flaming Pie: easily one of his best since the 70's.



2. Flowers In The Dirt: This disc has several of the songs he co-wrote with Elvis Costello on it.



3. Press To Play: Macca would disagree with me on this one and so would the person I was corresponding with, but I think there are a lot of hidden gems in this record. I was always fond of this album's single and video, Press.



4. Tug Of War: The first McCartney album I bought, for the single Take It Away. It also has his lovely nod to Lennon, Here Today.



5. Band On The Run: This album is just full of great tracks. It's the best of all the Wings recordings in my opinion. Oh and get the version that includes Helen Wheels, if you don't have this album.



And because you need all the wonderful Wings singles without the filler that is in fact, crap at times...

0 comments: