Friday, May 25, 2007

I Miss Singles

When I say singles I mean 45's or CD Singles. In the UK (where apparently music is much better), they have multiple releases for singles and they even include the video on the disc. Wow! What a novel concept. The American market doesn't seem to think they are necessary, and thanks to mp3s and video downloads the market in this country is dwindling away faster each day.

Grrr!

I still buy CD Singles (mostly imports because that's the only way I can get them half the time), because I love getting the tracks that aren't on the albums. Plus if I'm in love with the band, I have a tendency to want everything they put out.

Places like I-tunes have ruined this format in America. In all actuality the concept of buying individual songs should be a great thing, but it fails miserably in too many ways for me to want to throw my money to those bastards at Apple. Nope...I'll buy my little plastic discs thank you very much.

Why you ask? You have 7000 + mp3s on your computer, surely you appreciate digital media.

Yes, I do. I love it. I couldn't live without it, but, and this is a big but, I've never found the instance where I could purchase bonus tracks for a CD by themselves. To get the bonus tracks you have to purchase a full album download. If this changes I may feel more inclined to purchase downloads. Until then, I buy them only if it's something that's unique to the site. I've only spent about $5 at I-tunes in the last few years. And I have no intention of spending much more than that

Not being able to get the bonus tracks without buying the whole album is wrong. That's not right or fair. In fact it f-ing sucks, but the American public buys into it. The point of being able to buy single songs should include all songs, not just the standard album tracks.

Singles were such a wonderful thing. They had cool cover art. They had extra tracks. It makes me sad to see this fade away because of digital media. When I hear about people ripping their CDs for their flipping I-f-ing-Pods, so they can get rid of the discs, I want to weep.

Yes, CDs and CD Singles are expensive, but they are tangible and if my computer crashes I can rip the songs again and again. When a digital download is swallowed by my computer, it's gone forever, or until I shell out more money for another download.

CD Singles...and CDs...I love you, even if the rest of the world doesn't.

0 comments: