Thursday, July 15, 2004

Nicknames

Nicknames

Someone brought this up in one of the yahoo groups I frequent the other day. It got me to thinking quite a bit too. Nicknames are something that can really make you cringe. I've had a few in my life and I have to say that for the most part there is probably only 1 that didn't make me want to beat the crap out of the person speaking.

Let me list them, cos I like lists, and let you feel my strife.

1. Andy -- Erm..Hello here. I may be Andrea, but Andy for the most part is a guy, and that guy, is my father. This one was started by my 2 oldest nieces, and they wonder why we aren't close! In later years, I gave up, but insisted if you spell out this nickname, it's Andii. At least that looks feminine.

2. Cleo -- like any grade school girl I had long, flowing, hideous long hair, until I was about 10 or 11. I got it cut in a shoulder length bob then. All the boys in my class thought I was rather Queen of the Nile-ish. At the time, I wasn't very amused. Another nickname that stuck through high school. GAH!

3. Queen -- Picked this one up at one of my jobs. I inadvertently gave this one to myself. I told someone that I was the Queen of Weird, and from then on...I was Queen. This is a nickname I've always found amusing.

4. Hayho -- OH crikey what a long and short story this is. Let's just make it simple: Hayward Whore = Hayho. Or maybe it's Hayward's Whore. Or maybe I'm just dreaming again! Don't mind this one much, but it's gotten me into some trouble. Ah well, like I always say, DEAL WITH IT!

The point I'm making is this. Don't assume someone doesn't mind a shortened form of their name, or some cute little catchy thing that you associate with them. You have no idea the trauma it can cause. Oh and make sure you pronounce the name right too!

Grumbles..

That's another rant altogether.

But before I go.

My name is And-rea. I'm hoping the hyphen might help you figure out how "I" pronounce my name.

0 comments: