Thursday, January 26, 2006

Thursday Thirteen


Thirteen albums that I can't live without.

1. Elvis Costello - Blood and Chocolate



This is one of those albums that I can listen to again and again. It's so full of Elvis' signature snark and emotion. I don't think there's a song on this album that I don't like, plus it has several songs that top my favorites list: I Want You, Battered Old Bird, Crimes of Paris and Next Time Round. (See, I've already listed half the disc!)

2. The Moody Blues - Strange Times



This is my favorite Moody Blues CD. I realize in Moodyland it's a sacrilidge not to love a Core 7 CD, but I'm sorry. Mike Pinder's songwriting makes me suicidal. The songwriting on this album is superb. Justin and John have some true gems on this album. Again it's another that I can listen to the whole way through and that includes Words You Say, which I've come to love despite the fact that it makes no damn sense at all.

3. The Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour



Of the Core 7 albums by the Moody Blues, this is my favorite. This album truly has some great songwriting by all the members of the band, plus this is the album with The Story In Your Eyes, probably Justin's best guitar solo. It also has one of the most beautiful album covers.

4. George Harrison - Cloud 9



The wait for this cd was one of the longest in my life. The release date of this album was pushed back at least 4 times over the course of that summer. I think it was 86 or 87. I harassed the employees of every Camelot Music that I went into. George has done better albums, but this one will always be my favorite. Fish On The Sand is the best track on this one, in my humble opinion.

5. The Beatles - Rubber Soul



The Beatles hadn't quite reached the psychedelicness that was to change and shape the musical world, but this album had hints of what was to come. It's still light and cheery sounding. Of all the albums the Fab Four did, this is my absolute favorite. Could it be because Nowhere Man is on it? Quite possibly.

6. The Monkees - Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones



Psychedelic Monkees! My first copy of this is an old Colgems record that I was given by my best friend, Tina's mum. Michael Nesmith really shines on this album, with songs like Love Is Only Sleeping, Salesman and The Door Into Summer.

7. Grey Eye Glances - Eventide



I fell in love with this band through this album. It's a recent addition to my favorites list but I know that life wouldn't be the same without songs like Angel and Snow. I'm so glad I discovered this record.

8. Keri Noble - Fearless



I discovered Keri Noble on someone's blog. I can't remember whose though. There's not a bad song on this CD. She's a fine example of what I like in female musicians/songwriters; a good voice that's not too little girl sounding and songwriting that's neither too angsty or too whining.

9. Erasure - Chorus



I think this was one of the first Erasure CDs I bought. It's probably the most techno sounding of all their discs. Ok, techno-popy. Andy's vocals on Siren Song and Am I Right are absolutely haunting. The rest of the album is pure pop fun.

10. Duran Duran - Notorious



Maybe it's because the guys were definitely at their prettiest at this time, but this is my favorite Duran Duran disc. The songs I like the best weren't the big hits either. Proposition and Veritgo (Do The Demolition) are two songs I think everyone should hear from this record.

11. Justin Hayward - Night Flight



It seems that most people hate this album. Not I. It's not my favorite of Justin's solo works, but I can't live without it, because if I didn't get to hear Justin sing "lopsidin lovin'" at least once in awhile, my days just wouldn't be as cheerful. It's a good album of tunes that are very 80's. And frankly I don't think that's a bad thing. Plus the liner notes have some darn cute pictures of Justin inside.

12. Oingo Boingo - Dark At The End Of The Tunnel



Another album full of favorites. This is probably the best Oingo Boingo CD. Danny Elfman shows off the fact that he can write songs that aren't cheesy and kitschy. Dark and brooding at times and even uplifting once or twice. This is one CD I will never tire of.

13. Bernie Barlow - Golden



Go buy this album off Bernie's offical site. She's got a great voice. She puts up with my Moody Men on a regular basis (lucky wench) and she hasn't killed any of em. Another fantastic lady that should be selling lots of records, but isn't.

Other Thursday Thirteeners
Jess

0 comments: