Saturday, October 13, 2007

I'm A Loser.....

That's how I felt walking into the Destinta Theater in Bridgeville, ALONE! At least I wasn't the only loser at the theater. There were 3 other loners @ the one o'clock show. That didn't make me feel better though. There were several times when I wanted to turn to someone and make a comment about the movie, only to remember I was there, sans friends or family.

GAH!

As to the movie itself, all I can say is WOW! That's a Wow! in a good sort of way. It's a visually stunning film, though the plot is a bit thin, but truth be told, that doesn't really make much difference, it's the music that carries the story and it does. The casting was really splendid. As I've said before, Jim Sturgess is gorgeous, and he can really sing too. His Jude is impossible not to love. I'm not as keen on Evan Rachel Wood. I guess I'm having issues with the stereotypical blonde right now, but as Lucy she does well and she sings well too.

The voices that shine the most are Dana Fuchs (Sadie) who is styled after Joplin and Martin Luther McCoy who bares a striking resemblance to Hendrix.

The best visuals in the film come with the cameos of Bono (Dr. Robert) and Eddie Izzard (Mr. Kite). Eddie's sequence goes a bit Pythonesque and even gets a Yellow Submarine twist with the appearance of the BLUE MEANIES!!!! Well, a more modern Blue Meanie. Can you tell I love me some blue meanies?

Even with such a disjointed plot as this movie has at times this is a film worth seeing. The actors and actresses do justice to tunes that I believe should never be covered. If you can get past a few Beatle puns, it's darn near perfect.

If you're a Beatles fan you should definitely see this film. Heck, if you're not you should. Because it's not often that you can come out of a movie just saying, "WOW!"

0 comments: