Saturday, March 06, 2004

Saturday Slant

This is last week's Slant, but it was so up my proverbial

What songs give you support or inspiration?

More so than any other media of entertainment or information, music often acts as a catharsis to help us move through and past difficult situations and times. What songs give you support or inspiration? Whether it�s the pain of a breakup, the agony inherent in contemplating ending a relationship, the loss of a loved one, the loss of a job, or even just a rough day, we all have emotionally trying times


OK...here's my answer...

If I'm really in dire need of a smile, the first song I'm going to go for is The Moody Blues' Don't Need A Reindeer. Yes, it's a Christmas song, but there's really something sweet and special about it. It's also upbeat and catcy and well, absolutely cute. It's impossible for me to not feel good after hearing this song.

I find inspiration in all music. I think anyone that knows my writing, and a few of you do, know that I draw a lot from what I listen too. Often I pay tribute to the song by titling the story after it. So I've found quite a bit of inspiration in Elvis Costello and The Moody Blues.

I know when I need to work something out with a story, I'll pop a cd in and see what happens. Though it seems that whatever band I like the most seems to give me the most inspiration at the time.

I'm one of those people though, that when I'm really depressed, music doesn't help me. I get frustrated usually. I'll play cd after cd, but never get through a whole disc, sometimes even a whole song, before changing it. Depression for me brings silence.

I'm trying to think back to what I was listening too the last time my mom was in the hospital. It was probably Elvis Costello. He's seen me through many ups and downs particularly in the last 2 years. Its not just one song, it's many. Mr. Costello has a way of putting things that seems to relate well with my life. Or maybe I just want them too, who knows.

Like I said before, when I hit rock bottom, I'm usually suffering in silence. Rather odd you might say but let me explain.

When you've fallen out of love, been dumped...you don't want to listen to love songs...they make you depressed. And sad songs, well they make you more depressed too. Happy music makes you want to through the CD player out the window.

OK..that's just me. But really in a deep depression, or a total emotional upheaval, I'll pick silence over music. I want my music to reflect on happy times. I don't want something that's going to trigger a negative response or feeling when I hear it. Why? Cos I'll likely never listen to it again.

So I guess music is more inspiring for me than supporting? Sounds that way. Now the question is, what song will inspire me next, cos my story is in dire need of work.

0 comments: