Friday, July 13, 2007

Top 5 On Friday - Week 132

From "me" @ Music Memoirs

Top 5 Musical Collaborations (songs, albums) it can be a mixture of both.

I could do this in all Elvis Costello collaborations...but I'll try to show some variation.

1. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach: My favorite of his collaborations. It all started with the Austin Powers soundtrack with EC's lovely version of I'll Never Fall In Love Again...no I lie he did Bacharach and David songs almost from the beginning of his career, but who cares...It all leads up to this:

Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach - Painted From Memory


(click to buy @ amazon)

2. The other Elvis Costello collaboration I can't fail to mention is his brief writing partnership with Paul McCartney. Though the 2 never recorded a full album together their songs appeared on 5 CDs.

These are my favorite albums that they appear on:

Paul McCartney - Flowers In The Dirt


(click to buy @ amazon)

Elvis Costello - Mighty Like A Rose


(click to buy @ amazon)

Next are 3 songs.....

3. Dusty Springfield & The Pet Shop Boys - Nothing Has Been Proved
Everyone remembers The Pet Shop Boys hit with Dusty, but many don't remember this song which is really gorgeous. It would have been nice if a full album would have come out of their working together. I think it would have sounded lovely.

4. David Bowie w/Queen - Under Pressure
This is such a fantastic song, if only Vanilla Ice wouldn't have used it. That's seriously so very wrong.

5. Cliff Richard & Olivia Newton-John - Had To Be
This song came from the musical Heathcliff. It's stunning. Cliff and Olivia worked together on other songs like Suddenly from her film Xanadu, but this one is my personal favorite. I've often wondered why they didn't do an album together, their voices blend so well together.

0 comments: