Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Take Me Back Tuesday - Week 131

From Music Memoirs

Did you have any bands that you were ashamed of liking in your younger days?

No, at least not at the time I liked them. I ended up in many a verbal battle over my music loves. It was a war against Culture Club and Michael Jackson. I HATE WACKO JACKO and I always will.

Do you look back on some of the things you listened to and groan? If so, what were they?
Yes, and it's Culture Club that makes me groan. The music was great, in that cheesy 80's way, but there were only 2 really good albums and each only had a song or two that looking back have had staying power. Colour By Numbers was the best of the bunch. And if I could get past how vile Boy George turned out I might be able spin it more often, but when I listen I get a bad mental picture and I can't keep the music on.

Up through the 80's there were a lot of music related tv shows did you watch any? (That weren't on Mtv or Vh-1)
OH lordy, I watched so many of them; Friday Night Videos, Solid Gold (the worst of the bunch with those slutty near naked dancers), and whatever the video show was on HBO. (That's where I first saw the video for Olivia Newton-John's Physical)

A good many singers/musicians made films that were pretty awful, but have a cult following, which ones do you like?
Not sure it has a cult following but Paul McCartney's Give My Regards To Broad Street is a silly little movie. I can't forget Ringo's Caveman either. Oh and lastly...Polly had this one on her list and I agree, Xanadu with Olivia Newton-John. I can still watch that one over and over.

Are any of your youthful guilty pleasures still favorites now? Or do you pretend like you never liked them?
I can't call Culture Club or Wham! favorites now, but I still like them. I like Bonnie Tyler too. I will not pretend I never liked them either. I admit fully to my awful taste as a child! But hey, I liked The Monkees and The Beatles then too!

0 comments: