Thursday, July 05, 2007

It's Murder! Two Rooms: Celebrating The Songs Of Elton John & Bernie Taupin



I bought this Elton John/Bernie Taupin covers disc ages ago, and today I sent it on to some poor soul on LaLa.com that wanted to toss away $1.75.

I ripped it to my hard drive before sending it on, because I hadn't listened to it in ages, and with good reason. It's vile. I don't even know where to begin.

The worst tracks:

Tina Turner - The Bitch Is Back
(She does this one so much better live. The album version is an abomination)

Sinead (Shinehead) O'Connor - Sacrifice
(You don't do things like this to my favorite Elton John track. Make her shut it!)

Jon Bon Jovi - Levon
(I hate this by default. I hate Jon Boy. Everything he sings sounds the freaking same, and this is a damn good Elton song.)

The WTF tracks:

Rod Stewart - Your Song
(It's not bad....it's not good...I hope you don't mind if I put down in words that Rod should stop singing other people's songs...and start recording some stuff of his own.)

Wilson Phillips - Daniel
(The verdict is still out on this one. It's possibly good)

Kate Bush - Rocket Man
(So weird that its good. But it just doesn't suit Kate's voice and the arrangement is truly a WTF!)

The Good (And I'm hard pressed to find any)

The Who - Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting
(OK, by default, I love Roger Daltry....but this is a song that is suited for The Who...but can I please look at Roger...rather than listen?)

Hall & Oates - Philadelphia Freedom
(Oddly a nice interpretation of a song I truly hate)

Phil Collins - Burn Down The Mission
(Phil does covers well. I actually prefer his cover of True Colors to Cyndi Lauper's original)

The Most Pitiful
The Beach Boys - Crocodile Rock
(I HATE THE BEACH BOYS! This is a bigger abomination than Tina's cover of The Bitch Is Back. It's much much worse than their cover of the Mama's and the Papa's California Dreamin' from the 80's)

The rest of the album isn't even worth mentioning. Don't waste your money on this. Seriously! Don't do it!

The Duets CD is a much easier listen, as Elton is sharing vocals, rather than having his songs killed by artists that are so much better than this. (with the exception of Jon Boy)

0 comments: