Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Music and Me

I blog a lot about music. Mostly because my life is really really boring. It always has been. I'm not married, I live with my parents who are older and I have a job that's not very stable. It doesn't make for a good living. So I resort to other things.

Music has always been the fuel to my imagination. It's helped me with writing and it's allowed me to push "real life" away when I needed it. It's deeply personal too. Everyone has different tastes. Most of my friends don't have the same taste as I do.

I don't expect any of my friends to like what I like and vice versa. And only with my friends will I tease that their taste in music sucks. Because telling someone that can be like sticking a knife through them. At least if they truly care about the musicians that record their favorite songs. (And we all know that I do...I care passionately for them...more passionately than I should)

So someone tells me the Moody Blues are vile...or Duran Duran...or Elvis Costello, I'll probably take it personally, because though they certainly aren't friends of mine (pardon the duran duran pun), I feel like they are. I hate reading album and concert reviews as much as the artist does. I've also been known to write to some of the critics in our city's newspaper when I haven't liked what they said.

Sounds crazy?

That's because I am.

And I like to think I'm pretty open to new sounds or sounds I haven't heard before. This year I was introduced to Wilco and even though I had heard of them before, I wasns't ready to like them. Oddly a little Woodie Gutherie song called California Stars, did me in. Now I have a few of their CDs.

And oddly thanks to blogging I've discovered some other new artists. If I see someone with links to albums they are listening to, I often check them out. I'm constantly looking for new artists to add to my musical family.

It's my life, it's not very exciting, but it's very musical.

Giving Thanks
As if you couldn't guess what todays thanks would be for: Music!

Turkey Shoot

0 comments: