Saturday, November 13, 2004

D squared

Ok, so I'm having difficulty with the Duran Duran Mix. Why? Just like most of the bands I like, there's so much material to cover.

Duran Duran are one of my favorite bands. One of the 80's staples that I can't give up even when they put out some really crap albums in the 90's. I think it stemmed from the fact that even though they were crap, there was always a song or two that made me recall how good they could be when they wanted to be.

I'm going through the mp3s that I have, knowing full well I have to break out all the CDs to do this mix and also knowing that one mix won't do the band justice.

They did have some great songs, but I want to omit the obvious, like Rio and Hungry Like The Wolf, cos well, overkill is a bad thing. Plus some of the band's best songs were b-sides.

And oddly I'm finding that the one album I've always hated is having an unusual affect on me. Yup, Thank You, that god awful piece of poo the band put out after the fantastic Wedding Album.

I wanted to include a song from that one, because it does have some redeeming qualities to it and I played the Dylan cover, Lay Lady Lay, which starts off sounding a bit like Come Undone and then Simon starts singing and he just sounds like sex on a stick. AGH! Maybe I should use this one, sounding like sex on a stick can't be bad, right?

Mind you, I haven't decided if I should include their cover of Watching the Detectives yet either. That cover has always been one I love to hate and hate to love. It's done like Duran Duran would do it and sometimes it sounds unbelievably sexy. (At least to me) Moody Mistress, do you just want me to email you that mp3? And please don't hold it against the band if you hate it. They were suffering from delusions and hallucinations when they recorded that album.

Of course when the lead singer looks like this



it's easy to forgive them a few bad albums.

0 comments: