Thursday, August 26, 2004

Theater Thursday

Week 15 - Soundtracks

I've been wearing out my portable CD player listening to all three original Star Wars movie soundtracks, in anticipation of their DVD release next month.

This week's questions are about movie soundtracks.

1) What is your favorite soundtrack from a movie?



This one always shows up on my Christmas Mixes. Such a beautiful score.

2) Which movie's soundtrack didn't fit the tone of the movie, or was so badly composed it detracted from the movie?

I don't think there are many scores out there that are badly done. Those 10 or so composers work pretty damn hard. What I will say is this. In Tim Burton's last film, Big Fish, Danny Elfman's score got lost in the shuffle, it was barely noticable which is a rarity. Anyone that knows Burton/Elfman knows that those scores are characters in the film.

3) Who is your favorite film music composer?

Danny Elfman



BONUS) Do you prefer an orchestral soundtrack, or a popular-music soundtrack? Why?

It all depends on the movie and who did the score and also how much popular music played a role in the movie. I own many of each type of soundtrack and I love them all for their uniqueness.

0 comments: