Monday, August 16, 2004

Monday Music Mambo

Got to get my Mambo going on, or it wouldn't be a Monday. I promise a regular post later on. (The post with the pictures from my walkies this weekend)

Let's get started with this. Tell us your feelings about top 40 music, using the letters
T-O-P F-O-R-T-Y.

Totally crap 99.9 percent of the time
Overplayed to the point of madness
Please make Britney Speers go away.

For the most part, I don't like any of it.
Only a few good artists get into the top.
Really awful that most bands on the charts are prefabricated pop bands and soundalikes
Time to turn the radio off for good.
Yikes! didn't they play that song 10 minutes ago

Tell us why you love it. Tell us why you hate it. Tell us anything you think we might want to know about it. Go ahead, you can do it!

Now it's time to really get down and mambo.

1. What song from the recent top 40 charts is your favorite? (Recent being that last 6 or so months)
Maroon 5's This Love is probably my favorite, since I'm not much for stuff that's mainstream anymore. If you go back a little further than that, add The Darkness' I Believe In A Thing Called Love. (Hey that was at least top 40 in the UK) I will also add that song can really get stuck in your head after only one listening.

2. Do you think that most songs in the top 40 are overplayed or not? Tell us why you feel that way.
Top 40 songs are played to death. It's a wonder that anyone can like them at all. Remember Smooth? You know that song with Santana and Rob Thomas on vocals? It was a good song the first 100,000 times. After that, you ran screaming from the room every time it came on.

I know they want to expose the new material, but crikey, throw something else into the mix. I have a short tolerance for repitition like that. It's a good thing I don't like radio or the newer songs that I do like, I probably wouldn't.


3. What band do you think most deserves a top 40 hit, but hasn't had one yet, or hasn't had one in a very long time?
My first reaction is to come out and say, The Moody Blues. I'll jump on that bandwagon for the guys. But no. I'll only offer this plug. When the Christmas CDs come out this year, go buy the Moody Blues' December. Buy multiple copies, cos these guys are broke. I mean, Justin Hayward is just suffering in his mansion in Monoco.

~cough~ buy a copy though, all snark aside,it's a beautiful CD.

The real answer...

Duran Duran



They probably haven't seen the Top 40 since 1993, and the new single, Sunrise is just fantabulous. I wish them a number one with this one. They deserve it!


4. In the recent past, Top 40 was mostly rock/pop music. How do you feel about the inclusion of other genres into this grouping?
There's good and bad in it I suppose. There will always be some genre crossing over, R & B, Country, some genre that you didn't know existed. The problem with cross over is you have one artist that is really good that deserves to break into the mainstream, but when they do, you get 100 more wannabes coming through and most of them suck.

I'm thinking of the Latin music invasion a few years back. God, it started with Ricky and Enrique, and then we added J the ho and then the man that was to be one of her hubbies, Marc (Marc has talent, J the ho does not, unless having a big butt is talent, in which case I'm full of talent) God, the air waves were full of awful music then.

5. Radio airplay helps to determine how well a single or album sells. Do you think that listeners should have more input into what radio stations play?
It would be great for the indie artists and some lesser known bands to get some love if everyone had input. They only stations you see requests taking a place of importance in the programming scheme are usually small indepentant stations. We have one in our area and it's great, but you don't get newer music, it's stuff from the 60s - early 90's.

0 comments: