Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Musings of the Music Whore

Now most people that know me know the strange tastes I have and when they appeared in my life. I've gone over my lists of favorites a thousand times it seems. When these bands appeared in my life doesn't seem as important as the fact that they were there.

Some of the bands are long forgotten. Some I'm trying to forget. Some I'll never forget.

"With Lovers and friends I still can recall, some are dead and some are living..."

That's how I see the CDs that grace my shelves, as old friends and lovers. And like that beautiful lyric written by John Lennon, some are dead and some are living. Dead to me possibly and some in a more literal sense.

Dead to me, in that the band or their music no longer suits my life. It happens. I've gone through phases. You all know that. I like music from the 60's but for awhile I didn't listen to it.

It comes back around though. I'll blame one band for the resurgence of that decade's sounds in my life. We all know who I'm talking about.

When I was in junior high, I was into the hair bands of the 80's. Yes, I loved Def Leppard (still do, but to a lesser extent), Poison, Whitesnake, White Lion..etc. It's hard to believe that they were once a part of my life.

But people change...and I did and these bands left my life. I went on to Cheap Trick from there and then suddenly fell into New Wave a few years past its prime.

But I don't think it matters when you listen to something, but what you listen to.

I've listened to Classic Rock, Alternative, New Wave, Theatre, Easy Listening, Pop, and I've loved things in all of them. They've all played a part in my life, even though some of them aren't there any more.

Everything seems to come around again. I remember when I first saw the video for Your Wildest Dreams. That was my favorite song for that year. I was obsessed with the 60's then. My life was the Beatles and the Monkees and these strange guys that called themselves the Moody Blues wanted a piece of my life.

They didn't get it.

But oddly they perservered and they have it now. Damn it, why couldn't Hayward's hair still be as oddly frightening to me as it was in the video for Nights In White Satin?

I remember when I heard about Paul McCartney taking on a new writing partner. That was Elvis Costello. That was also back in my Beatley days. I felt almost betrayed, but I had to take a listen. For a year I was obsessed with the album "Spike."

Then Mr. Costello faded away.

He came back for a bit when Duran Duran did their covers cd in the mid 90's, but he didn't stay for long.

Oddly a few years ago, he came back. And he's stayed.

What strange bedfellows my favorites make.

But really, look at my collection and you'll see music from every decade since the 60's and a smattering of music from years before that.

I've grown from a girl in love with Davy Jones to a quirky woman still in love with Davy Jones, but also Justin Hayward, John Lodge, Elvis Costello, Simon LeBon..and a few others.

What? I'm fickle! I know! And any how, I always wanted a harem of men.

Everything has its place. The Moody Blues will probably fade in time. Something new will replace them and so on and so forth. And they may come back, or their circle may be closed.

All I know, is that when I love something, I do it with passion. I hate things with passion too.

To have instilled such emotion in me, is to have meant something to me in some way in my life.

It's a long widing but very musical journey and one I'm enjoying very much.

"In my life, I've loved them all."

0 comments: