Thursday, August 05, 2004

Musical Tastes

Musical Musings on Musical Tastes

Musical tastes change and evolve as we grow older. I've always prided myself at being fairly open about music. Though there are plenty of artists out there that I can't stand. (Read...Teenybopper pop and anything grungy)

I've always been one to like the odd things, at times when it wasn't cool to like them. I was into 60's music long before the rebirth of the Summer of Love in 87. I started to get into the music of the 80's, the real new wave stuff in the 90's. Nothing in my music collection makes sense. I just have music from all the past 40 years.

I've also watched bands I like rise and fall from my interest. Oingo Boingo isn't a band that I listen to much anymore, yet a few years ago they were constantly in my CD player, so were Danny Elfman's film scores.

I used to listen to Def Leppard quite a bit not too long ago. I even saw them in concert from the 2nd row last year.

And with everything that passes away, I have something new to replace it. Diana Krall has crept into my affections, though heaven only knows why. It took The Girl In The Other Room, to let me see the beauty of her voice. (Still wish she wasn't married to Elvis Costello)

The Moody Blues that you read about on a daily basis only crept back into my life last year. Oddly, this happened through a combination of Vh-1 Classic and hunting down songs for a Days of the Week Mix CD. Its weird the way things come back into your life. (The Other Side of Life was an album I wanted but never bought back in the 80's. Bad me. Flog me)

Which brings me to Elvis Costello. If it weren't for Brighid, I probably wouldn't be quite the Costello afficianado that I am today. Through a strange IM about the man, I renewed my love for him. (I had adored him back in 89 and 90 when Spike came out..but somehow lost him for 12 years...much the way I lost the Moody Blues)

The problem now is how to find new music. I'm not a fan of radio by any means and the video channels just annoy me. It was by accident that I got tuned into Maroon 5, a new band that I like, but don't quite grasp the popularity of. They are good, but not spectacular and yet everyone seems to love them. Ponder

Most new bands that I've gotten into lately or have discovered a passing interest in have come from Mix CD Swaps. There's a group of us over at the Art Of The Mix Blog Community. Through the people there, I'm getting into the Darkness (saints spare me) and Wilco. (I should have liked them years ago I think...even Brighid would probably agree on that one)

See, even the Music Whore needs to broaden her musical horizons. I wonder what's next?

0 comments: