Tuesday, November 28, 2006

My Favorite Albums Right Now

I need another musical obsession like I need a hole in my head, but I can't help it, Gordon Lightfoot is wonderful. He's a little bit folk and little bit country, which isn't my usual musical preference, but there's something about his voice and lyrics that really pulls me in.

It started with three songs, The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgeral, If You Could Read My Mind and Sundown. Jill then pointed me towards Beautiful and I spent a weekend listening to those four songs over and over. A fifth song in the form of Song For A Winter's Night was quickly added.

I now own 2 CDs and a download for the brilliant album Harmony.



I can't begin to tell you how much I love the song Inspiration Lady. I've played it over and over so many times, I think I might be able to sing along to it soon. Not that anyone would want to hear that.

The No Hotel is another favorite of mine. It's full of humor and it's just an infectious tune.

The next album that showed up on my doorstep via LaLa was A Painter Passing Through



Bliss. The title track is lovely as is On Yonge Street which made me long to go to Toronto. I haven't been there since my senior year of high school when I made the 7 hour drive just to see The Phantom Of The Opera. I've wanted to go back ever since, but I've had no luck planning a trip.

The next disc that showed up was Waiting For You



Two words for you on this one: Wild Strawberries.

These albums are of his more recent material. Maybe they aren't what longtime Lightfoot fans want, but they've introduced me to a man that should have been in my collection ages ago.

I only wish that I had known his material so that I could've caught his show at Seven Springs last summer.

0 comments: