Monday, September 03, 2007

Wonderful Tonight?



After 2 days of intense reading I finished the 300 odd page autobiography written by the ex-wife of George Harrison and Eric Clapton.

My initial thoughts now that I've put the book down run on the lines of, "Someone paid this woman to write this?"

It's not bad, in the sense that it was poorly written, but it was poorly organized. In so many parts of the book, especially after she became involved with The Beatles her narrative seemed to jump across the years, which left me rather bewildered at times.

The other thing that bothered me was how little she elaborated on her life with the Beatles. Everything is mentioned briefly with very little detail. There were no little tidbits about any of the other members of the band or their wives and children.

How can you spent that much of your life involved with these people and not mention them except almost in passing?

It seems like its almost random things that get slightly more detail, buying Friar Park and George's infidelity with Ringo's wife, though that seemed to be such a catalyst to her leaving him, that one would think it would get more than a page or so, are among a few of the highlights in the book.

If you are looking to learn anything new about the Beatles...don't bother. I'm not even sure if you want to gain insight on the life of one of the most well-known rock wives that this is a book that will impress.

In so many parts it read like..George was ignoring me...Whine...Whine...George was having affairs...Whine...Whine...Whine. And with Eric it was. Drink...drugs...other women....And Pattie? What did she do about all of this? NOTHING!

I groaned through most of the book thinking, "Lady you are worse than any Harlequin romance novel."

Yet, in the end she's a strong woman. She survived 2 marriages that were destructive emotionally. She lived through the drugs and alcohol and is still here to tell her story, even if its a rather bland one.

My advice to anyone out there that want to read this, check it out from the library. It's not worth purchasing, at least not in hardback.

I did learn a few interesting things about her sister though.

Jenny Boyd was married to Mick Fleetwood twice. She was also the inspiration for Donovan's song, Jennifer Juniper. (Blergh) I won't listen to that song in the same light now.

I think I may have to acquire George's I Me Mine now for clarity.

0 comments: