Sunday, September 30, 2007

Help Me Make It Through This Book Alive!



H.G. Wells' In The Days Of The Comet is a short book; only 245 pages in length. I've been reading it off and on for almost a month now. I've read other books that are longer in the course of this time. I can't seem to make it through this one at all.

I used to pride myself on my ability to read and enjoy literature.

Why isn't this book included?

Yes, it's dry, but it's not boring. If it had been boring I would have put it down by now and completely forgotten about it. Unfortunately I'm at the halfway point now, and I couldn't stop reading it if I wanted to. If I invest a certain amount of time in a book I make sure that I finish it.

That's probably the reason why it's becoming so difficult to finish it. I feel like it's a school project. I always hated the required reading in high school. It was the hardest stuff to read, even if years later I decided to read it on my own. I remember having to read Les Miserables in 10th grade and hating it. I reread it a few years ago and fully appreciated the novel. I'd love to eventually read the unabridged version, but that's another story altogether.

It's my goal to finish the last 120 pages of this book today. (If it kills me) Because I have so many other, more interesting books to start reading!!

0 comments: