Tuesday, February 17, 2004

The Wisdom of Writers

Found this on In Other Words and it made me think. (which is sadly hard to do these days) The best words of wisdom always seem to come from writers, so when I speak you should listen!! (hahaha)

The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or perhaps, loved in spite of ourselves.
-- - Victor Hugo


I like this quote. I think this is what people are looking for and perhaps why we can never acheive the supreme happiness, because it's so difficult to find one person that will accept you and still love you for all your faults and flaws.

So if asked, is this statement true, I would say yes. There are very few people out there that don't equate love with happiness. Girls are taught early on by their mothers that life is not complete unless you have a significant other. (a fact I find hilarious in this enlightened time)

I think that the last part of the quote is what keeps people from reaching that happiness. Isn't it so true that people put stipulations on what would make them happy? If only this would happen, I would be happy. Or when this happens I'll be happy. If this would change or this person would change I would be happy. I guess that's why supreme happiness might be unobtainable for most. Would the divorce rate be so high if people actually loved their partners in spite of the other person's faults of flaws.

And isn't it true that the most confident people are the ones that have the most support by their loved ones. So their confidence and happiness comes from knowing that the people that matter love them and care about their choices.

Perhaps its these lucky people that know that family members are usually the only people that love unconditionally. And isn't that what this is really about. Unconditional love = Supreme Happiness.

So my guess is if you can feel the love that a mother and father feel for their children to the person in your life, maybe you'll acheive this happiness. Or perhaps I'm just talking to be heard.

0 comments: