Thursday, February 12, 2004

How BMG Screws You Over and Over


I just got my monthly catalog from the BMG music service. Yay! Another month of looking at the same top forty garbage I could get in the stores for much much less. I do occasionally pick up a few discs though, cos when they have sales you can get 3 CDs for under 25 dollars. Plus some oddities pop up every now and then, so I do enjoy my membership.

But really they know how to screw you out of your last dime in many ways.

1. Have you seen what the charge for shipping? Over 2 dollars per disc! Let me tell you it doesn't cost that much for them to sent the discs in those little cardboard envelopes? This includes box sets too. No special rates on those, the same price for each disc of the box? WTF!!

2. They carry a lot of back catalog stuff but have you seen the pricing? Almost ever single disc at the record clubs is 17.98. They have all the millenium collection best ofs priced at 17.98. Talk about ripping you off. If you go to WalMart, Best Buy or hell any store, these discs are priced between 8.99 and 11.99. Talk about grasping for cash!!

3. Remember that class action lawsuit that was filed about overcharging on discs? It was a suit filed against Sony Music Entertainment. Well I got my voucher in my mailer yesterday. I'm entitled to at least one cd at 75% off of the purchase price. (which is still inflated mind you) I could also be entitled to 2 more if I knew how many regularly priced cds I bought between August 1996 - July 2002.

Allow me to just say this, "How the fuck should I know." The way they run promotions there it's difficult to know. Since my membership started in 1997, I had to buy at least 4 regular priced discs. So I'm thinking I at least deserve 2, probably 3 of the discounted discs.

I probably should explain further. The number of discs you're entitled to is based on your purchases.

1-5 discs gets you one at the discounted price
6-10 discs gets you two
11 + discs gets you three.

So basically everyone that's fulfilled their enrollment agreement gets 1 disc at 75% off. YAY! The killer thing is, you can't tell how many discs you purchased!!

I wouldn't be grumbling about this now, if I didn't have a list of cds a mile long that I want. Plus, speaking of box sets, they have a great sale this month and the Duran Duran box set, would only cost me 36 bucks!! You know the singles box that I want so badly! That's actually a beaucoup good buy. They did this because I'm pretty much SOL at buying things right now.

0 comments: