Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Lettermen

I'm not one to watch any of the late night talk shows unless there's a band on that I really want to see, or an actor that's not completely obnoxious coming on. Last night was no exception. I watched Lettermen for one reason and one reason only; The Beatles.

Only it ended up being more amusing than I thought it would. Let me say one thing before I go on. I hate talk shows. I really hate them all. Especially whiny talk shows. So needless to say, I was really amazed at Dr. Phil. I've had the misfortune of watching his show a few times, simply because it was on, and I was too lazy to change the channel.

I found it very refreshing that Dr Phil laid it in on Lettermen for not marrying the mother of his child. Many times I might add. He even hinted that he might want to do an extra good job and raising his new son, because when he's ready to be out in the world, dad's probably going to need him to take care of him.

Go Dr. Phil!

That was truly evil and in such a delightful way. It gave me newfound respect for Dr. Phil and it was fun to watch Lettermen squirm; and oh did he squirm.

As for the real reason I watched the show, it was almost disappointing. I was told they were going to play the whole performance, so I was expecting to see 2 clips rather than one, but I was still excited to finally see the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. They play Best of episodes on PBS, but I've never had it on when they show the Beatles, so this was a first.

Every time they put the camera on George I got teary. Friends and family know that Harrison was one of my first crushes. It still hurts to see videos with him, knowing that he's not with us anymore.

Still, it was great fun to see the guys young (well and alive in most cases) and having great fun. I only wish I could have seen the second song, which I think was She Loves You. Yeah Yeah Yeah.

So, to one of the best bands in the world. I send my love....From Me To You. (pun intended)