Friday, February 06, 2004

I Love that Old Time Rock N Roll

I was reading somewhere yesterday that an 80's station in VA changed formats and is now playing oldies.

~Looks about bewildered~

Aren't 80's tunes oldies yet? I mean, since I've been accused of not listening to much new music, I'd at least like to have my favorite era of music classified as something.

It was really nice to hear someone call the music of the 60's and 70's the moldy oldies. Yeah right! Excusei moi? OK, maybe not the 70's I believe the offending poster said the 70's were still labeled Classic Rock.

ARGH!

First let me say this; the 70's are not classic rock. Classic Rock is really more of a genre than a time period. Classic Rock is comprised of bands like The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Stones etc. If you want to be technical, add The Beatles and The Moody Blues to this list as well, and I don't like to think of any of these bands as moldy oldies.

Do we then classify all the great Motown artists then as moldy oldies? Is David Bowie a moldy oldy, he is from a decade now 30 years in the past? Oh wait, most of his work is from the 70's so he's Classic Rock. ARGH, I'm so confused.

Granted I love my 80's music, more than I love anything that's come out now; cos I find very little to like in the music that's being shoved down the public's throats these days, but really there's more to listen to then one decade. Expand your horizons and find out that if it weren't for the moldy oldies...some of the fantastic 80's music wouldn't have happened.

Punk is from the 70's does that make it a moldy oldy?

What about Glam? Progressive Rock? Hell I'm sure even Disco had its part in shaping the dance music of the 80's onward.

The Beatles, moldy oldies? I don't think so. And considering that the bands of the Moldy Oldy Decades are still influencing the bands today,(I know they're out there somewhere) I wouldn't want to put such a shoddy label on them.

Of course if you want to call Captain and Tennille a moldy oldy...go for it.

0 comments: