Thursday, February 05, 2004

Reissue Rants

Everyone here knows my love for David Bowie. It's a love I have had for a very long time. I read somewhere that he bought a mountain. My guess is he got the money from all the reissues he's been doing, and the anniversary editions he's put out of a few of his classic albums. Granted the packaging on these editions is gorgeous, but the price is a killer. The reissue of the Sound and Vision box took the price up 20 dollars.

I think Bowie's looking to buy another mountain. I wonder if I could interest him in a little hill, located in a rural area a bit south of Pittsburgh? Probably not, but it's good to try.

I just read that 3 of David's albums from the 90's are going to get reissued now on Columbia. Seems the rights moved to that label when he signed the new record deal. So we'll be seeing Outside, Earthling and Hours reissued soon. Mmmm Hours, my favorite Bowie album of recent years. All will have bonus tracks...of course, they need to give you a reason to buy something that you already have and that isn't out of print!!!

I'm sure they'll get released quickly too. Unlike some reissues. (cough cough...Costello) I'm still waiting for the last 5 Elvis Costello albums to get reissued by Rhino, and unlike Bowie, Mr. Costello's back catalog is out of print. A rock n' roll hall of famer, grammy nominee and his back catalog isn't completely available.

~kicks Rhino~

Hmmm wait...while I'm kicking record labels..

~c'mere Universal. I have an issue to discuss with you about a certain Mr. Hayward. (BTW it's Hayward, not Heyward or Hayword, as the man will tell you himself) A few solo albums of his, could stand to be reissued, and not just in the UK, even though I'll buy those reissues, so I can have my bonus tracks. Two words for you geniuses at Universal; Moving Mountains.

Thank you, and now I'm going to try to figure out how to pay for this onslaught of new reissues.

0 comments: