Wednesday, February 11, 2004

David Gilmour

I'm only saying this because I was watching Vh-1 Classic way late last night. I don't know why I bother to keep the channel on, they will never play the one video I want to see. (Sitting at the Wheel) Nope...can't see that one Moody Blues video that I've never seen or for that matter the video for Elvis Costello's This Town. I've strayed from the subject though.

Yesterday was 2 for Tuesday, so you get 2 videos by the same artist all day. So long about 1 am last night they did a David Gilmour 2 for Tuesday.

Blue Light was the first video that was on. The dancers in the street reminded me a bit of the dancers in the Moody Blues video for Your Wildest Dreams. Not that its a bad thing, I've found that in the past twenty years David Gilmour sounds like a Hayward wannabe, particularly the songs from Momentary Lapse of Reason. (Learning to Fly and On the Turning Away)

But that's not really the point either. The Blue Light video was just odd. Like Pink Floyd videos are odd. (except for the two that I just mentioned) I've seen my fair share of Floyd videos. Vh-1 Classic loves Floyd. Early Floyd clips (not sure if they are actually videos..but shorts really) are truly bizarre, of course Pink Floyd's music is quite bizarre. I've never really grasped some of the songs. OK, most of the songs. Not that I don't like them, because I do, I just don't "get" them.

But Geeze David, I wish when the video for Blue Light was made, that you didn't tell the director, "Sure make it look like a Floyd video!"

I'm so confused. But I guess maybe that's the point. Or maybe I'm just supposed to be the one person watching David Gilmour like a dog with his head cocked to the side.

0 comments: