Thursday, February 05, 2004

BIG FISH! --- The Book ---

I'm about halfway through the novel that has now been turned into a Tim Burton film. With only about 60 pages left in this teeny tiny novel, I begin to wonder what Hollywood thinks when it buys the rights to people's novels.

Certainly I can see how the writers of the film version pieced together the stories that made up the novel. I also wonder at where they came up with the rest? They certainly added more to the story than could be found in the book, they also conviently removed parts. But such is the case with Hollywood.

I guess I'm disappointed that the movie and the book weren't more polar opposites. This wasn't a case of Tim Burton remaking and rethinking Planet of the Apes. This was more a unique telling of a very odd novel and Big Fish is just that a very odd yet entertaining novel.

If Danny Elfman and Tim Burton could do Undying Love by Ben Harrison together, it would be a Halloween hit. (That's a totally different story altogether)

I highly recommend everyone read Big Fish. For the most part, I always say, read the book after you see the movie, you'll be less disappointed. This time, I don't think it matters. The sins of omission and the additions brought on by Hollywood writers only strengthen the story and give it more life. Sure it's not 100% like the book, what film version is?

For all the differences I've seen so far, I don't think if I were the author, that I'd feel that any damage was done to the original story. What I do think, is if you are the type to pick up a book and actually read it, this is one of those instances were book and movie compliment each other. Sure you can enjoy one without the other, but together you are able to see things that either author or screenwriter missed.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but truly, I beg of you, go see Big Fish and go read Big Fish. You won't be disappointed.

0 comments: