Sunday, April 25, 2004

A Writer's Meme

I was wandering though Livejournal's and such, searching for inspiration this morning. My mind is turned off to Not My Slave at the present time, the sleepyness has taken over again, so I thought I'd poke around and see what other people were writing about, I came across this.

1. Why do you write?

I write as a release. I have many thoughts inside my head, plots storylines, etc. If I didn't get them down on paper or in a document, I'd probably go insane. As it is, I have at least 2 other stories waiting to be written after I finish Not My Slave, plus the additions to Broken Dreams/MOOT.

BTW...those of you that are reading Broken Dreams, any feedback yet?



2. Why did you first start writing?

I started writing because I saw a video on Mtv in 1986 maybe. I've always enjoyed doing essays and I tried my hand at lyrics, but that wasn't really my forte. I really can't believe that the reason I began to write is the band that I love the most today. It was the video for Your Wildest Dreams that started my writing. A story about a dancer that fell in love with George Harrison and their struggles to finally find each other again.

~sniffle~

That story filled a 3 subject notebook. My friend Tina has it somewhere. It was my first finished work. Ahhhh George, words can't express how much I miss that man and his music.



4. What kind of advice would you give/What would you tell someone who might consider writing, but needs a little nudge?

First of all, if you have a story, write it. Everything can be fixed, unless it's utter crap. If the plot is good and the characters are there then put it down on paper. It can't hurt.

I have this theory, if one person enjoyed what you wrote, then its all worthwhile. I'm glad Broken Dreams has been worthwhile. I know at least 4 people enjoyed that one. It may never be published, but it's been read and that makes me very happy.

5. What kinds of writing do you do? (stories, poetry, essays, articles, etc; please include genres if you write fiction)

Well, as you can see I obviously do essays/articles, but my love is fiction, romantic fiction to be more precise.

I've done fanfiction, as seen by my linky on the sidebar of this page, romance, historical, erotica and some fiction about life in general that doesn't fall under any real category.



General questions for everyone:

Do you think that anyone can write? Why or why not?

Everyone that has a story to tell can write. It may not be good, but they can write. Writing is about expressing and idea or a message to others. It's a story you have to tell. If you have any of these and the desire to tell it, most likely you can write.

The fundamentals may not be there, but most people can learn those. That's the way I see it.


How/Why do you encourage someone you know (if you do) to write?

I don't. You can't make someone write. I wish you could make someone stop. Dear god, the world should have silenced Danielle Steele years ago, before she killed off another character.

If someone wants to write, they'll do it. If they don't they'll make excuses and the story will never happen. It's as easy as that.

Writers shouldn't need encouragement, they need inspiration.

Even when I hit rough spots on stories it wasn't, "aw you have to finish" statements that kept me going, it was something that I found that made the story come alive. Sure it helps to have a nudge but inspiration is what gets the story going!

0 comments: