Friday, April 16, 2004

Music That Shaped My Life

This was the post I intended to do yesterday, but the Anything But Here post that nobody really read and my flower show escapades prempted.

This could really be the soundtrack of my life. The songs that made me love a band or an artist enough that they became the focal point of my attention for months or years out of my life. There is usually one song that does it. One song that hooks you and reels you in. There have been so many over the years that it's hard to keep track. Some are bands that most people know, others more obscure.

I'd do a time line but it's hard to pinpoint the beginnings. I will do it in the order that they came into my life the exact years I can't recall on some.

I'll Follow The Sun - Beatles 65 - The first song I fell in love with thanks to the Beatles Cartoons. I still have the original vinyl of that album, I hope my brother doesn't want it back, cos it'd be over my dead body.

Daydream Believer - The Birds The Bees The Monkees - I used to watch the Monkees on WPTT 22 everyday at either 4 or 5 o'clock. At five years old I was determined to marry Davy Jones. I still wouldn't mind it.

Karma Chameleon - Colour By Numbers - The roller rink song of my childhood. Oddly enough I wanted to marry Boy George too. I was a strange child.

Phyiscal - Physical - This song and Xanadu were my two favorites by Olivia Newton-John. Yes, I wore the headbands and legwarmers, shut up!

Kyrie - Welcome to the Real World - This song by Mister Mr played on the radio over and over in the year that the Monongahela River had its worst flooding in decades. I heard it zillions of times as we waited to hear if we needed to build an ark.

Talk Dirty To Me - Look What The Cat Dragged In - I wanted to be a metal head for a brief time. Thankfully that didn't last very long.

Pour Some Sugar On Me - Hysteria - Well if I liked Poison, I had to love the Leps.

Got My Mind Set On You - Cloud 9 - The cheesiest song of George Harrison's career and the song from the album that I waited forever to own. God Bless You, George! The world misses your sweet voice.

The Flame - Lap of Luxury - The most beautiful Cheap Trick ballad ever. My freind JoAnn and I, used to obsess over them in high school. Robin Zander was the man of the moment for a time.

Elevator Man - Boi-ngo - I had a boyfriend who thought he was Danny Elfman. He turned me on to boingo. Not the first song that I heard, but the first song that really made me giggle.

Your Wildest Dreams - The Other Side of Life - I can't believe I didn't buy that album until last summer. I wanted to be the girl in that video. I don't know why, in the year that video came out, the Hayward wasn't my cuppa tea.

~gasp~

God's Comic - Spike - Thus began my love affair with Elvis Costello. This song inspired me to write a songfic back in 10th grade. Its posted in the archives somewhere

Ordinary World - I got into Duran Duran thanks to this song. I haven't recovered from this obsession yet.

Cry So Easy - Wonderland - Thanks to my friend Tina for loaning me this Erasure tape. Techno pop at it's finest. I have more of their CDs than most anyone in my collection.

Cruel To Be Kind - Labour of Lust - I don't own the album, but I do own many other cds by Nick Lowe. Vh-1 Classic is to blame for my love of this man, more so than Elvis Costello. Great songwriter. Fun music. Cute old geezer too.

Eloise - single only - Thanks to Erin and April for this one...and the Turkey Song!!!! Get Turkey out of the house...~sings silly-ly~ You just can't help but love Eloise and I don't really know what it is about the song that does it. I heard it once and loved it.

The Angels Cry - Annie Haslam - A song written by the Hayward for Agentha from Abba. Annie's version is far superior and her first solo album is just beautiful. I'm slowly working to build a collection of her material.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that I remember now and that have a special place in my heart and music collection.

0 comments: