Sunday, April 25, 2004

Benny and Joon

I watched this movie again last night. Its only the second time that I've seen it, but I love it. I can watch it over and over, much like Edward Scissorhands and Pirates of the Carribean, two of Mr. Depp's other films. It's no secret that Johnny Depp is a favorite of mine has been since my last year in high school. So it's hard to believe I missed this one.

I missed a lot of his films actually. I've only just begun to catch up on them, but that's not really the point. The point is, Benny and Joon is the sweetest movie you'll ever see that isn't a Disney flick.

I'd love to lose a poker game and end up with Johnny Depp coming home with me. I'm not sure I'd want him to make me a cheese sandwich though.

The movie was odd, in the way that all movies with Johnny Depp in them happen to be. The way the script handles a few of the issues of the film leaves me to go hmmm, as well.

Case in point.

1. Joon has a mental illness, (it never says what it is) and they suggest a group home, but by the end she's in her own apartment with Sam (Johnny Depp) A plus is, the apartment is supervised by Benny's girlfriend.

2. Sam is basically illiterate, but he does eventually get a job at the video store. (did someone help him fill out the ap? How did that happen?)

Just 2 points that made me go hmmm while watching, not that it mattered or anything. The movie doesn't need to be deep. The movie is much to sweet to go deep. It's the perfect movie if you are in need of cheering up. There are no characters that you truly hate.

The best thing is, even when things go wrong, you don't get that sense of dread that comes with most movies. You know that it's going to end up ok. I think that's why I like it so much. It's a damn happy movie. Well, it's also got Johnny Depp in it and that adorable song by the Proclaimers, 500 miles.

So to end my mindless rambling for the day, if you haven't seen Benny and Joon go rent it, or you might make Johnny sad.