Friday, October 10, 2003

Why the US Coupling Sucks

Of the three episodes that have aired already, I've watched 2. I was a trifle scared of the premiere, so I opted not to watch. BBC is airing the original episodes directly after the US ones now, so that's my excuse.

Why do I watch it if it's so bad? Well, 2 of the guys are adorable, even if they aren't funny. Nope...even using the EXACT scripts from the British episodes, they aren't funny. The acting is stiff at best and the characters just aren't as convincing.

They aren't as pretty either.

Example

US Cast



UK Cast



For me there's really no comparison, the cast from the UK is far superior. I can say no more.

To me the characters on the US version go a little too much to the extreme and they don't do it in a funny way.

For example: Jane..In the UK show, ditzy, funloving, just a tad bit of a tart..but in a fun way. Jane..In the US show...ditzy and a slut...nothing lovable here.

Better example: Jeff..In the UK show, adorable, goofy,(my fav boytoy) able to pull off all the horrid things that are in the script for him to do...including shout "I'm full of sperm" with style..US Jeff: cute...but not enough...and the gags fall flat..The giggle loop was just a sad thing...and it was one of Jeff's masterpieces in the UK show.

It's the recylcing of the scripts that bothers me the most. I realize that this may be Steve Moffat's idea...but it's not working. If you've watched both shows, you have to make comparisons and the new show falls flat (on its face). Maybe if some new writing was done, the actors could become the characters they are set to play. As it stands now, they are just trying (badly I might add) to mimic something that was successful in another country.

Stop using the same scripts!!! Create new...Steves, Patricks, Jeffs, Sallys, Janes and Susans...It's the only way the show can work!

I think there would be hope for this series if it weren't a sad attempt to clone the original. Honest...the premise for Coupling is great....It should work...but it's not..at least not for this girl..

Oh and by the way..



I love that man!