Wednesday, October 08, 2003

The Music Whore Would Like to Thank

It's amazing the bands that I've listened to in the past...well almost 30 years. None of the bands I've ever devoted my time to have ever completely passed from my life. I always come back to them at some point, even if it's just a brief listen every now and then.

There have been so many different bands at so many different parts of my life.

The Monkees were the first band I ever listened to. I used to watch the show in reruns when I was 4 or 5. Their greatest hits album was the first LP that I owned....

From them I grew to love the Beatles and all the solo material of the greatest band ever. I think all thought he first 14 years of my life I wanted to be in London in the 1960's

I did have a smattering of new music during those years; Olivia Newton John, Culture Club, Wham!, Bonnie Tyler. I'll still listen to them when the mood strikes me, but they were never a huge obsession with me.

I think like all teenage girls in the late 80's I had a thing for hair bands. I listened to Poison, Def Leppard and Whitesnake. Def Leppard has always found their way back to my CD player. I think it has something to do with that cute tushie Joe Elliot has. I could be wrong though.

Some other bands from that period in my life that have lingered for many a moment on the Music Whore's stereo....Cheap Trick....I still love Robin Zander's voice, XTC...Colin Moulding is wonderful and Andy Partridge writes some really snarky lyrics...Roxette....my trippy kinda dance band...the Moody Blues made their first peak into my life ...as did Elvis Costello

My last year in high school saw the beginnings of my Oingo Boingo obsession. It was stunted thanks to a relationship gone bad...but it resurfaced 3 years ago....

College took me back to the 80's even though it was 1992. This is where my new wave obsession came from; Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Erasure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Morrissey, Adam Ant...to name a few. Oh and it would be wrong not to mention David Bowie...who I've never been sure how I came to love...

The millennium brought about a return of old obsessions. Halloween 2000 brought Danny Elfman back....and then a year later Elvis took control (he still has some control, though not as much as he did at the beginning of the year) It was inevitable that after my love for Elvis that I'd love Nick Lowe as well. Sometime this year I rediscovered the Moody Blues as well. Through them I've come to love Annie Halsam and oddly Pink Floyd.

So as the Music Whore stare contemplatively at her CD collection...she sighs and says...WHAT NEXT! and thanks all these bands and musicians for the music that has shaped my life..