Saturday, October 25, 2003

Things that Make Me Moody

As you all well know, I've been listening to the Moody Blues heavily for the past seven months or so. Not exclusively...however much it may sound like it.

I first heard the Moody Blues way back in 1986 when In Your Wildest Dreams was their hit single. The video appealed to the girl that wanted more than anything to be a mod in the 60's. The music in this house was the Monkees, the Beatles, Herman's Hermits and any other band from that era that I had missed by being born in the summer of 1974.

Like any band, changes have come, sounds are different and bandmembers have come to pass. Some fans have a hard time accepting that. To them I say.."Get a grip" (well really it's more like fuck off...but I'm being nice)

The first 7 albums from Days of Future Passed to Seventh Sojourn are labeled the Core 7.

GAH!

Implying that these are the 7 best of a career that has spanned 3 decades. December will be the first new studio album of the millennium. (Yes it's a Christmas album..and yes everyone should buy it...for the song Don't Need A Reindeer alone)

This band has done 3 live albums..14 studio albums..and so many greatest hits packages..that I've lost count. How dare anyone label these albums as such. It makes the post 1978 work seem somewhat inferior. (That's all about wrong)

I'm sorry..songs like Driftwood, Running Water, The Swallow, Talking Out of Turn, Gemini Dream should not be cast aside because one member chose to move on with his life and career.

Yes, Mike Pinder was a good songwriter...yes he was a genius with the Mellotron...but well times change, people change..He did what was best for him..

To those of you that can't accept that..I say..enjoy the first 8 albums..because..Mike lasted through Octave..and then move on. Don't bitch and whine that things aren't the same. Don't moan that the next 5 or 6 albums are all about the Jays..(whose songwriting ability should not be in question...EVER) Most of all..if you don't like the new music..if you find fault with a band that took hold of the synthesizer in a time..when synths were in everything..and made it sound unique..rather than trite, than by all means..stop listening..so you can stop bitching.

Ray Thomas has just retired this year. A member of the band whose vocals I much appreciated. I'm saddened by this...but I'm not going to let it ruin my love for this band. I don't care if you think the Jays pushed him out. I'd like to think that the rigorous touring schedule of this band is what made him stop.

The Moody Blues can be found on the road at least 2 months out of every year if not 3. That's quite an accomplishment for men that are in their late 50's.

As for me...I own all the studio albums they've done and several of the greatest hits packages. Which album is my favorite.

1999's Strange Times.

Yep...a non Core 7 album is my favorite.

I'm not dismissing those 7 though. Sojourn is next on the list, then Keys of the Kingdom...then Every Good Boy Deserves Favour and rounding out the top 5, Sur La Mer.

Guess what...Most of my favorites aren't Core 7 albums. Why? Cos I happen to like the songs that Justin Hayward sings...I like that he writes romantic songs..that make me go all jello-like. I like that he's one helluva handsome blonde god.





Does that sound shallow? Maybe. I happen to like pretty things..I like pretty songs..(I also like snarky songs too..but that's Mr. Costello's department) When a pretty man..sings a pretty song..The Music Whore is happy...

Now leave her alone..and stop picking on the albums after 1978 please..