Sunday, October 05, 2003

Sunday Morning Blues

Sundays are not my favorite day anymore. They used to be. I used to love my once a week shopping expeditions, dinner, that sort of thing. Sundays aren't any fun anymore. If it weren't for Coupling and ManChild on BBC America; Sundays would be just another day to sleep through.

I just want to take this whole weekend and try to forget it, or at least try to figure it out. My father's brother Stanley and his wife Maureen, showed up yesterday at our house. In 29 years, I don't think I've ever met either of them. My father came from a family of 10 children, my dad being one of the oldest.

Well, they drove from Texas all the way to PA to be with the family (most of my Dad's remaining siblings are all in the area) and yesterday they knock on our door.

WTF!

I guess now that they've lost so many of their siblings, they need to visit more often, especially as they live so far away from the rest. Believe it or not, the two youngest of my father's family died in the 80's. Both of those brothers were only in their 40's at the time. It's sad really. Different types of cancer got both Ray and Dale.

So to round out my weekend, the little bit of shopping (I'm finally going to get my Jack Skellington T-shirt at Hot Topic) and din-din (At Garfield's in Washington, PA) is going to be hurried so that Mom, Dad and I can hurry to one of my aunt's house for an impromptu family reunion.

I don't do well with people. (and before you say the family thing) I haven't seen half these people since I was in grade school. They don't know me and I don't know them. It's not a prospect that I'm looking forward to, but I got out of it the last time, which was about 2 or 3 years ago.

So wish me luck that I can get through this without losing the last tiny shard of sanity that I have. I'd much rather be home cleaning. Which is incidentally what I was doing at 2 a.m. last night.

0 comments: