Sunday, December 17, 2006

Musical Discoveries

I've been trying to be a bit different this weekend. So I let myself explore some new avenues of music. After all you can't listen to oldies all the time. Horizons need to be expanded. I'm not saying I'm going to put away all my wonderful classic rock CDs, but I am going to listen to something new, something different.

I'm giving Bic Runga, Azure Ray, Kings Of Convenience and Bitter Sweet a try this weekend. I also thought I'd give a Madonna b-side a listen. Remind me not to do that ever again. Madonna is just so damn boring anymore.

Right now I'm kinda refreshed by the Bic Runga CD Birds



Until this morning the only songs she's done that I've been familiar with are her cover of Sugar Sugar with Dan Wilson of Semisonic and Listening For The Weather. She's a bit typical in the way so many female vocalists are, but her songwriting is good, its quite possible if I have the extra money, that I'd add this disc to my collection.


Right now I'm listening to Azure Ray's Hold On Love.



I'll file this one on my give it a second chance bin. The vocalist is a bit too monotone for me. I don't like emotionless vocalist. The song If You Fall is the best I've heard so far. I may not be in the mood for this right now. It's kinda that dreamy pop type of music.

I didn't mention that I snagged Loreena McKennit's An Ancient Muse today.



I won't call this one of her best. I have her Christmasy EP and her Christmas album as well as Book of Secrets and a few others, I can't remember. I know I'll probably get this as I love celtic music to relax to. The music is always good, and right now I need something that will calm my troubled mind.


Oh and for the best trippy CD ever Bitter Sweet - The Mating Game



I feel like I should be in a trendy, yet quiet club, drinking funny colored drinks out of funny shaped glasses. The music makes me think of Portishead a bit, but more upbeat. This album makes me want to grab a cute guy, and get drunk and make out for long hours. Any takers? Nevermind.

As for Kings Of Convenience, I'm not sure. The album I snagged is Riot On An Empty Street



I've heard so much good about this band that I'm prepared to like them. The only problem is my ear isn't too sure about it. Maybe it will grow on me. Or maybe I'm just getting old and set in my musical ways.

0 comments: