Sunday, December 28, 2003

The Saddest Thing

I hate to think this, but I know it's quite possibly true. My love for Elvis Costello is almost at an end. I loved the snarky, sarcastic and cranky Elvis that didn't care what people thought of him.

Suddenly he's married, and at Sir Elton's pad, doing the party circuit and all the stuff that I never would have thought of him.

Something about this makes me think we've lost the Elvis of old and he's been replaced by a "Social Butterfly."

And now he's writing songs with his wife. The new Mrs. MacManus will have a new album out on April 27. It's titled The Girl in the Other Room, and features 3 or 4 tracks with lyrics she wrote with her new husband.

Pass the barf bag will ya.

I suppose if the next Costello album is anything like North I won't buy it and if I do, it will take a long time for me to do so.

I hate to relegate someone whose music I love to the same category as Madonna, whose music I had always loved, up until Music. Now I only buy her stuff after I've heard a good portion of it first. She has an EP out now..and it's kinda disappointing but not as disappointing as American Life.

I do realize that as a musician he must grow and do what is right for him, but I as a listener have to do the same. I've grown or at least expanded my musical horizons again this year. Costello's new music, just doesn't appeal to me.

It's strange too. (not the music, my dislike for it) It's sappy and romantic. So are the Moody Blues, but the sound just doesn't seem right to my ears. It worked with the Juliet Letters which I adore and it worked with Burt Bacharach another album of his I adore. Both are soft and melodic, but neither have that annoying quality that is so prevelant in North.

I think it's because, I'm the type of person that is compelled to sing along with my cds. I can't sing along to North. I'm even past caring that these are "I love you Diana" or "Wah, Cait left me" or some other sentiment like that, kinda songs.

Here's hoping that he creates some sappy songs that I can sing next time. I don't want to lose my faith in Mr. Costello.

0 comments: