Tuesday, December 16, 2003

If Pink Floyd are the Kings of Classic Rock What are the Moody Blues?

Just to let you know, Vh-1 Classic plays entirely too much Pink Floyd. Not that it's a bad thing, I'm fast coming to enjoy their music, but I can't see them in the same genre as the Moody Blues.

I guess even as far as 60's music is concerned I saw the Moodies as the forerunners of the Adult Contemporary genre, though not completely. Their most hard rocking songs don't really rock out. (I'm Just a Singer and Ride My See Saw) I'm not saying that Pink Floyd rocks out, but ehm, Another Brick in the Wall is quite a bit more of a rocker than either of those two tracks.

So where does that leave the Moody Blues? Even at their most light and airy (Keys of the Kingdom) they don't really fit the lite fm stereo type. A little too thoughtful and not always sickeningly sweet.

Then there comes the comparison that even I noticed. Learning to Fly from Momentary Lapse of Reason by Pink Floyd sounds oddly Moody-ish, so does On the Turning Away. Justin Hayward could have written those two. I suppose he kind of answered that comparison in 2000 when the band recorded We Can Fly for the Journey to Amazing Caves soundtrack.

So that leaves me very confused, because I can't see the Moody Blues as being Progressive. Though from what I've come to understand about that genre, you only had to incorporate classical music into your music. If so, then sure the Moody Blues are Progressive.

I guess it's just me not liking to toss a label on anything. I like to think that bands like the Moody Blues and Pink Floyd and the Beatles and Rennaisance the list goes on...created timeless music. I think if any label should sit on a band, that's as good as any.

So that would put them as the Crowned Princes of Timeless Music.

Hmmm

Prince Justin Hayward



and

Prince John Lodge.



Has a nice ring to it.

They certainly look like royalty.