Thursday, November 10, 2005

Lights Out

Last night around 8 o'clock the power went out. We were having storms, but they didn't seem bad enough to warrant more then the usual flicker of power, which happens every so often if a real strong storm comes around.

But last night was weird. Why shouldn't it be, anyway? Everything in my life has been weird for the last couple of weeks.

So here we are, sent into total blackness at 8 o'clock. I was in the middle of posting something here, so I was in a panic that something nasty might have happened to my computer. That's the last thing I'd need right now. Thankfully when the power was restored, sometime around 1 a.m., everything was working properly.

And yes, I did say the power was restored around 1 a.m.

Let me tell you, I was getting nervous after an hour without light. It was comforting to see that police were patroling the town, because most of my little hamlet of Charleroi on Mon was without light. We were happy when cars drove by, because they illuminated the room better than the candles we had lit, and of course, we didn't have a flash light worth turning on.

So much for that girl scout motto of being prepared, because we sure as hell weren't. After all, I can't even remember the last time we had a power outage worth mentioning.

By 10 p.m. when the lights still hadn't come on, I decided I was going to go to bed. I wasn't holding out much hope for a good night's sleep, because I wake up at 5 and my only alarm was my cell phone, which I've never used for an alarm. Thankfully, I heard the movement about the house when the power was restored, so I set all the alarms, checked my computer and went back to bed for the last 4.5 hours.

It wasn't a fun night. I didn't get to do anything I wanted to do and reading by candlelight is something I wouldn't recommend. And if I'm whining like this for a few mere hours without power, lordy, my heart really goes out to the hurricane victims that were without power for weeks.

0 comments: