Wednesday, January 05, 2005

5 Most Worn Out CDs

Kristy posted her 5 yesterday. It got me thinking. Boy did it get me thinking, probably more than I needed to.

The problem is, I don't play CDs as much as I used to, at least not regular CDS. CDRs yes! I love my mix CDs, but the actual albums tend to get ripped to my harddrive, where I can listen to them with greater ease.

But that's neither hear nor there. These are the 5 discs that you'll hear a lot of around my house. (In no particular order)

1. Blood and Chocolate is one of Elvis Costello's best CDs, hands down. It's filled with his usual snark, emotion and all those other things that make Elvis Costello CDs so darn good.

If those aren't good enough reasons to play this CD over and over, the song I Want You, is on this one. That song has to be the best song that man has ever written.

And if you are more a fan of poppy sounding music there's Next Time Round and Blue Chair.

My first copy of this CD was from a used CD shop and was well loved when I got it. I'm not sure if it still plays. The poor thing was carried with me everywhere for the longest time. (It spent too much time in my car CD player too) Thank goodness it was already reissued by Rhino discs, so I now have the original disc as well as the bonus disc full of demos and other goodies.

2. Strange Times was the last "real" release by the Moody Blues. I say this because last year's December was a Christmas album, and if you don't like that sort of thing, you're probably not even going to give it a listen.

Strange Times takes you back to the sixties, and in a good way. Not that, we're trying to recapture our youth sort of way, that some Classic Rock bands have gone. It's fresh and full of the melodies and beautiful lyrics that any Moody Blues fan expects from these guys.

No, it doesn't harken back to the days of the Core 7. People looking for that should just stay away.

But if you are fond of the music that makes you want to drift away on a cloud (And Haunted will do that, ok it will make you snap your fingers too) you'll have this one on repeat.

It was almost a decade in the making, but it was worth the wait. I can't say which tracks are my favorites, because I'd end up listing the whole album.

I will however tell you that you should listen to English Sunset and the title track Strange Times. (And Sooner or Later Walking On Air..and Words You Say)

I have two copies of this disc, because I love it so much. It was the second Moody Blues CD I bought. The first being the Greatest Hits CD released in 89. It rekindled the love for a band that I had almost forgot about. Thank God for Strange Times!


3. Chorus, is undoubtably the best album by synth-pop duo Erasure. This is another album that I can't really give a few songs that are highlights, all of the tracks are wonderful.

It's lush, it's poppy, its beautiful, and I'm a fan of pretty pop music. That's one area where this album and band never fail to come through. Siren Song is a prime example of that. It's a gorgeous lullaby-like ballad.

My best friend, Tina, got me into this band. I can't remember the order I bought the CDs because I snapped up all of them quickly, and I've bought every one released since. This, however, is the one disc that I always come back to.

4. Rubber Soul is this girl's favorite Beatles album. It never gets old to me. It's the album that hints at the greatness to come while keeping the innocence of the early Fab Four. Plus it has Nowhere Man on it, and that is not only my theme song, it's my favorite Beatles tune, hands down.

I can't say anymore. It's the Beatles. They speak for themselves. The. Best. Pop. Band. EVER!

5. Ok, it was going to be another Moodies CD or another Elvis Costello CD. I think I've worn this one out more than Elvis' Brutal Youth disc.

Can you see that I'm not a fan of the Core 7? Can you see I'm a child of the 80's? And this is an 80's album.

I remember going to that happy listener coma the first time I heard this album. I already knew Gemini Dream and The Voice from the Greatest Hits disc. I wasn't prepared for the rest.

Gorgeous!

Beautiful!

Catchy!

Lodgey outdid himself on this one. Two of my top 10 John Lodge songs come from this CD; Talking Out of Turn and Nervous.

And Justin doesn't disappoint either. He never does, actually. This is the man who wrote Don't Need A Reindeer!! Bless his cotton socks for that!

Meanwhile and In My World are two Hayward tracks that are not to be missed.

This album is fab! I can say no more.

0 comments: