Friday, December 10, 2004

Used CD Stores

These places are a double edged sword to all music lovers. It's great to go into a shop and find a CD that you've been looking for, that maybe has been out of print for a few years, or just something you want but don't want to spend the 20 dollars on.

The problem is, when I go into a used CD store, I see these poor discs as homeless, unwanted creatures that aren't loved anymore. It's even worse when they are CDs by bands that I love.

I want to rescue them and bring them all home.

Not a good thing, considering I'm swimming in CDs as it is.

Today, while perusing the CD Warehouse in West Mifflin, I came across this:



which was on Lady Starlight's Christmas list.

Well Woot! That's one Christmas present down.

Still while I was looking through the CDs there were 2 copies of the Best Of The Moody Blues (Grrrrrr) and one Live at the Red Rocks CDs as well as Erasure's Pop!

I wanted to cry and then ask for phone numbers!

Who gave these babies up?

Who made these musical gems orphans in the world of music?

For shame!

Surely there was something on those two best of complilations that would merit keeping them. Nights In White Satin! Question! Steppin In a Slide Zone! The Story In Your Eyes! Gemini Dream!

And as for Erasure, what miserable human can't find one bouncy happy Erasure song to love?

Never mind, I realize there is at least one person that doesn't, or the CD wouldn't be at the store.

It just makes me sad that these gems were tossed aside for a few measley dollars. I'm glad I didn't look in the Elvis Costello section, or I would have been sad and angry all at the same time.

How dare they!

And then I'm stuck wishing I could find homes for them. Suddenly I'm part of the CD Rescue League. I'm out to save needy CDs from owners that can't or won't take care of them.

I want to start a campaign. Save the CDs! Don't buy them if you only want one song! Seriously! In the long run digital downloads might be better for you.

Remember, shop responsibly for music!

Save some money.

Save a CD.

0 comments: