Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy F-ing Valentine's Day

As you can see I have no love for this holiday. Never had, never will. The only time in my 33 years that I had a significant other on this rather pathetic holiday was my senior year. I was given carnations. Yeah. Dead people flowers. Thanks a lot.

I love how the media tries to make this day into a retail dream. If anyone ever bought me a shiny new Lexus for Valentine's Day, I would have them sent to the mental ward for evaluation. A box of Godiva chocolates is sufficient, or something shiny from a jewelry store, but never mind that. I'll really just take the Godiva chocolates. I'm easy to please really.

If I'm allowed to fantasize a bit a night out in The South Side of Pittsburgh is nice too. There are any number of restaurants that would make me happy and some lovely coffee shops too. It doesn't take much.6 It doesn't even have to be on Valentine's Day. Heck the Godiva chocolate doesn't even have to come in a box shaped like a heart.

I've never really understood the need to have a day where people told you that they loved you. Don't they do it any other time of the year? If they don't, this one day is pretty meaningless. Love should be expressed at all times, regardless of the day of the year it is. It shouldn't have to require a box of candy, flowers, or shiny objects.

So to all of you out there that have someone to love, tell them. And if you don't have someone to love, it's not the end of the world, it just feels that way today. Tomorrow life will return as always. But if someone offers you a cookie, candy etc, EAT IT! Who cares?

Happy Valentine's Day...from one bitter cranky bitch to the world! I love ya all, I really do.

0 comments: