Sunday, February 24, 2008

Another Book To Read



My friend has given me another book to drive me mad. So far it's working. I have no regrets on reading Einstein, but The Memory Keeper's Daughter is making me want to toss this book on the fire and I'm only about 40 pages in.

Let me explain a bit. The plot revolves around a married couple, the husband is a doctor and in 1964 has to give help deliver his wife's twins. The problem is one of the babies is born with Down's Syndrome.

Wait, it gets better. He gives the baby to the nurse and tells her to take the child to an institution and then tells his wife that the baby was born dead. That's where the problem starts for me. Especially as he tells his wife that he sent the baby to be buried already. So his wife didn't get to see the second child.

WTF!

That would be the end to that marriage. I'm not even sure I want to finish this. The plot is so annoying and the wife doesn't seem to want to fight. She's weak and annoying. Worse than any romance novel heroine.

Why can't my friend read good books? Oh wait, this is for a book group and obviously book groups only read crap in disguise as literature.

0 comments: