Sunday, October 17, 2004

Rewrites and Rewrites

I was reading through my current story yesterday and I decided to take a break and do a few rewrites. I saw some things that I wanted to change a bit, so I'm hoping now is as good a time as any to do that. Basically I'll be working on the chapters that have Deirdre and John in the present. I'm pretty much fine with the flashbacks. I'm hoping that doing this will make her character stronger.

Sometimes I wonder why I do this. I mean, writing is mostly for my enjoyment. I'd never have the guts to submit anything to a publisher, and I do have one finished novel sitting on this computer.

I don't think that ones perfected either, but I'm too scared to take another look at it, for fear of seeing how bad it really sucks. I worked on it far too long to have to start changing things. Broken Dreams went through so many rewrites and changes that I think by the time I finished it, anyone who had read the first drafts might not even recognize it.

The one I'm working on now is just a baby in comparison. I've only been at this one for about a month. I'd say it's about halfway finished too, which is why I think this is a good time to work at the rewrites. I like to do cleaning at a midway point, to give myself an idea of where the characters really need to be going.

I'm hoping I can get through the changes in a day or two, because I had an update almost ready for yesterday but decided to reread in favor of writing.

0 comments: