Sunday, October 10, 2004

I don't think you know me

That's a song title. It's one of the many nonalbum tracks that Rhino Records unearthed when they bought the Monkees catalog from Arista, or at least bought the rights to use the Monkees catalog.

But when I heard it this morning, for the first time in ages, I thought that the Monkees managed to record some thought provoking music while retaining that "Squeaky Clean" image that people seemed to demand in that time.

So good on them for making people think, while being cute and lovable.

But it was the title of the song that stuck with me, because it applies to me so much. Outside of family I can't think of many people that really know me well. In blogland, I let you know only what I want you to know and to other friends co-workers (do I have those) etc, I feel that my everyday strangeness is enough for them.

I've never liked the idea of people knowing too much about me. You can know my likes and dislikes, my work situation and even a bit of my family life, but what's in my heart? Never!

I'm notorious for not letting people get close to me. I'm very solitary and I like it that way. For the most part, I'd much rather sit at home and read than be out with people.

I've been burned enough by friends and boyfriends (HA! I never want another one of those..unless he answers to one of these names: Justin Hayward, John Lodge or Elvis Costello) to be more cautious.

But really, how many people can you say that you really know, after all? People that aren't family.

The Monkees
I Don't Think You Know Me

If you think I want the life you choose to live
I don't think I want the love you've got to give
If you think my goals could be so trivial and small
Then I don't think you know me at all

Born between the covers of your fashion books
You think you can make it, girl, on just your looks
You could never bring me up between your stands at all
I don't think you know me at all

Believing in the promise painted in your smile
I've chased what I was running from, girl, all the while
Known you for a hundred times in memories I recall
Still, I don't think you know me at all
I don't think you know me at all

Now if this song could leave my head, I'd be very happy!

0 comments: