Sunday, February 19, 2006

Recalling Old Favorites

Another typical Sunday, reading, listening to music and going out for a quick dinner. So I decided to vary my playlist a bit today to be different. I admit I go through spurts in what I listen to. But I have to admit listening to all of one band is pretty damn boring no matter how much I love them.

Today I'm taking a trip back to some of my 80's favorites.



Notorious was always one of my favorite Duran Duran discs. It's a little bit funky and a little bit poppy and Simon's voice is really at it's best. And from an eye candy perspective the guys looked great during this period too.

Let's face it, you can't talk about Duran Duran without mentioning image. For me they were one of the few bands with a career made almost entirely by the video medium that had the talent to back up the mania Mtv created.



I loved Ultravox so it's quite obvious that I'd be a fan of Midge Ure's solo work. Yesterday I was listening to a few of his CDs that I had ripped to my hard drive. Answers To Nothing was one of the albums I had on. I don't think there's a song on this CD that I don't like.

Midge has a distinctive voice as well as a writing style that allows you to think as well as enjoy a beautifully written song. Plus he's one half of the writing team of the classic song "Do They Know It's Christmas." It's a shame he doesn't get the credit he deserves for that one.

It's been a good walk down memory lane today. It's also been nice to have something different playing on my winamp player. All Moody Blues and Elvis Costello would make the Music Whore a dull girl, and we can't have that, can we?

0 comments: