Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Feeling Jazzy

While hunting new music at BMG, after the disasterous purchase I made, I discovered Jane Monheit. Her most recent album is a Christmas CD which naturally made me grumble. I hate discovering Christmas music after the holiday. But rest assured, a song or two from this disc will likely appear on next years Christmas mix CD. (Yes, I'm thinking about it already)

Jane's definitely up there with the likes of Diana Krall. Had I known of her before the holiday, her disc The Season may have gotten more airplay on my playlist than Diana's. (Maybe..there's still a matter of Count Your Blessings Instead Of Sheep) The only thing that's keeping me from ordering the disc now is that it's on Sony and it's one of those son-of-a-bitching protected discs. Frankly I'm not amused by Sony's ploy to stop file sharing.

At least her other discs are on another label, so that makes me feel a bit better. I hate that big corporations are trying to make it so I can't listen to my music when and where I want to, particularly on my damn computer.

I can't believe that I've taken to this kind of music. Jazz was never really a favorite genre of mine, but then again, Diana and Jane are more jazz/pop than jazz. Perhaps it's age that's mellowing my taste in music. Who knows. I certainly can't make any sense of it.

All I know is that I've really got a desire to sip some wine in a smokey club and listen to S'wonderful. Who wants to join me?

0 comments: